Saturday, April 28, 2012
Thursday, April 26, 2012
I recently did an illustration for a client, have a look at their website and the top image is one I have done for them (the site is pretty cool as well). http://www.respavvn.at
This is the first time I have attempted a full out space painting. I am very happy how it turned out and only spent 2 hours working on it. I figured to create a good space scene you need the following skills and techniques;
- dont go for straight black, go for a dark grey to start off with (almost black but not quite).
- think about compositional shapes. foreground moons are really good for setting a scale.
- create some "space clouds". Do not add any colors yet, this will simply confuse you. Use a cloud brush and smear tool (that one that pushes the paint around), you may need to think about adding some more ram... Just dot them around the place and then mask it out to your liking. Be free and explore the shapes you can make.
- You have to add a star/sun which is clearly in the solar system, maybe 2 or 3, its cool coz you can.
- now select your foreground, moon shapes and chuck a gradient through it (radial gradient).
- throw a grunge photo texture over the moon on overlay and Chewbacca's your new side kick.
- now make a crazy dark shape (from your darkest darks) and cut it out with lasso tool to your hearts desire. Once again go crazy.
- find a photo of a skyscraper at night with its lights on and slap it over that dark silhouette, lower the transparency of the photo.
- splatter some stars with a star brush sparingly in places you know it will add to the composition (darker areas or in nebulas).
- now you can put a color layer of everything, have fun with the nebulas.
- add some high lights with a dodge layer.
I will add a vid of the process very soon! Stay blogged in for more updates.
Wednesday, April 25, 2012
This was a in house art challenge submission for my previous work place Cerebral Fix. Still needs to be finished but I thought I would put it up here anyway. Have a look at the blog and check out the other cool characters http://redtentacle.blogspot.co.nz/
So we recently kicked off our first 2D Art Challenge within our group, to coincide with the sister 3D challenge! As its a new thing for all of us, we decided to hit the ground running with the following subject:
"Imagine that somewhere, in another plausible dimension, the Masters of Art that we have come to celebrate in museums and art books throughout our lives…battle it out one-on-one to put an end to the speculation and finally settle the argument that their art style is the best art style. THIS is why you studied art theory at school! THIS is THE DEADLIEST MASTERS OF ART!"
Thursday, April 19, 2012
Here is a little promotion video I have done for a little marketing for myself. In the grand scheme of things I will get some good publicity and get my art more views :)
I am planning on boosting my output for the next 2 months. I will be focussing on environments that have elements of architecture and some sort of interaction between the nature and living beings. Hopefully there will be some interesting content on here and if anybody wants a break down of how I created this image post in the comments and I will stick my workflow up. Sharing is caring.